As with any surgery, itâ€™s important to ask the right questions prior to undergoing laser eye surgery to ensure you have complete peace of mind.
When comparing laser eye companies, you may be unsure what questions to ask in order to find out which company is the right one for you. Here are some of the most important questions to ask at your consultation regarding your surgeon, procedure and aftercare.
At your consultation, you will meet with your surgeon who will be providing you with end to end care. Your initial consultation will allow you the opportunity to ask any of the following questions:
- What is your success rate for this procedure for my eye?
- What is your posterior capsular rupture rate?
- Are you a member of the Royal College of Surgeons/Ophthalmologists or equivalent?
- Are you on the General Medical Councilâ€™s Register? (ALL Doctors MUST be on this register)
- How long have you been performing the procedure?
- Do you have a specialist Fellowship training in corneal surgery?
- Do you have a specialist Fellowship sub-specialty training in refractive (laser eye) surgery?
- Do you have the Royal College accreditation in laser surgery?
- Will you be involved in my aftercare?
Your laser eye surgery procedure
After establishing a rapport with your surgeon, itâ€™s important to inform yourself about the procedure youâ€™ll be having. Some questions you may want to ask include:
- Will you conduct all pre-operative tests?
- How long will the procedure take?
- How long has the procedure and particular technique been established? Is it a new technique?
- Realistically, what is my prescription likely to be after surgery?
- What are the chances of a complication?
- If a complication does arise what are the long term implications for me?
- How long will it take to recover from surgery?
- Do you use state-of-the-art technology in the procedure?Â
- How will you address complications?
- When can I start driving again?
- When can I return to work?
A key aspect of aftercare is the level of aftercare the clinic is prepared to give. As a guide, ask them how much care they give after:
- 1 day of surgery
- 1-3 weeks after surgery
- 6 weeks after surgery
- 3 months after surgery
- 1 year after surgery
For more information on the first few days following your procedure, click here.
Before leaving your consultation, be sure to also find out how much access you will have to your surgeon, as you may have further questions or need to provide updates.