If you didn’t know it already, May is National Walking Month! This year’s campaign is focusing on adding 20minutes of walking to your usual routine. Here we present the top 10 tips to get walking this weekend by Living Streets, the UK charity for everyday walking.
1. Invite family and friends. Walking is a great way to spend quality time with love ones while getting fitter at the same time.
2. Try a walking meeting at work. Inspire the whole office to get some fresh air and a change of scenery while boosting your energy and productivity.
3. Walk for your lunch. Get adventurous this month and give your taste buds a treat as well as your feet and make sure you walk at least 20 minutes when buying your lunch.
4. Walk to or from work. You might not be able to walk the whole way to or from work. But you can skip a bus stop or park your car further away to add in your 20 minutes walking before or after work.
5. Get snap happy this weekend. Plan a weekend walk and take your smart phone or camera along and snap your local park, sunset or town centre.
6. Take the long cut. Take the long way round for an extra 20 minutes. Plan your journey ahead and see things you wouldn’t normally see.
7. Walk to the local shops. Not decided what to make for supper yet? Walk to a local shop for ingredients this evening to get in your 20 minutes.
8. Walk to school. Make sure you walk with your children or grandchildren. Ditch the school run for a school walk.
9. Take a mindful meander. Don’t let a hectic week get you down. Walking is the perfect way to zone out and rid yourself of negative thoughts.
10. Make someone’s day. Why not call in on friends and neighbours on your way home this evening or over the bank holiday weekend?
Which top tip will you be taking up?